Saturday, June 26, 2010

Radhika

 
~Painting by Shweta Mitra - May 2010
based on the painting "Jayashri – Krishna Pleading." by Syamarani dasi.

The first time I saw this painting, I knew I wanted to paint it. I have not managed to find the name of the artist who did this one,  however, the original painting was done by Syamarani Dasi, who is an amazing artist. I did not know about her, till I went hunting for the artist who I should give credit to for the original of this painting.


I try to stay as close to the original painting as possible, however, at some point the face changes and takes on a form of its own. The original face is beautiful, and there were moments I wished I could keep that same face in my painting. However, there is no predicting how stillness moves, and so, the painting becomes what it does. In this painting, Radha definitely has a flavor of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment