Friday, May 21, 2010

My First Portrait

This one is a copy of "The Milkmaid" by Raja Ravi Verma. This is my first attempt at drawing a portrait. It was a great learning experience. The rest of her came naturally, however her face was not easy. It started off as a completely different person. The face was slightly broader, the skin darker and eyes and lips more defined. Then as I changed the shape of her face, lightened her skin, changed the shading and made the eyes and lips less defined she transformed into a very different person. ☻. My daughter commented on how she looked so much older when I first started painting her and how she got younger with me playing around with the colors and shades. She does not look like the original painting by Raja Ravi Verma... in his painting she looks much younger and has a different feel to her. But I think I like my milkmaid the way she is. ☺.



~Painting by Shweta Mitra - May 2010
Copy Of "The Milkmaid" By Raja Ravi Verma.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely painting, Shweta. Are you painting with acrylics? If so, you do an amazing job with blending colors...very hard to get such effects with acrylics. I like your milkmaid better than the original. :)

    meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have been painting with acrylics. Love them.
    Thanks for your sweet kind words Meg. They mean a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.

    Her eyes reveal the beauty of her soul and the innocence of her nature.

    She has a mysterious alertness and vulnerability about her that lures the audience deeper within.

    Thank you for continuing to share this precious gift. It's beautiful.

    Matt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt.
    Yes there is something about her eyes and face that is haunting.
    The more I see her, the more mysterious she gets. :-D

    Thanks for your kind words.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it should be Raja Ravi Verma and not Rajiv.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hemanth.
    Funny how the eyes don't see typos at times... I have been calling it Milkmaid by Raja Ravi Verma, and writing Raja Rajiv Verma. Need my eyes checked.:-D

    Appreciate your input. Thanks.

    Fixed it.☺

    ReplyDelete